These radios just have an awesome quality in the workmanship and design of the radio. Icom has a variety of Base Transceivers that vary somewhat in price. They also have a radio that I would call a starter radio. This would be the Icom IC-718 All Band HF radio. It would make a nice radio for the Ham Radio Operator starting to build his or her Ham Shack. It does not cover the 60 meter band and transmits on all the other HF Bands. I have looked at the reviews on Eham.net and has a 4.6 out of 5 with 403 reviews. That is not too bad for this radio. You can use it to receive on ,but you must have your Technician License or better General License to talk on the High Frequencies. Here are some specifications on the radio below. If you are looking for more information check out this address http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/718/default.aspx .
- USB, LSB, CW, RTTY(FSK) and AM modes are built-in
- Level adjustable noise blanker
- RF attenuator and Pre-amplifier
- Variety of scanning function types
- Total 101 memory channels are available
- Hand microphone is supplied, and more...
One of the other Icom Amateur Base Transceivers I like is the Icom IC-7600. This is a little more intense radio with quite a few more features. This is a high frequency radio and also covers the 6 meter band. It will put out a total of 100 watts, which is not too bad and will work for most situations. It will cover SSB, CW, FM, RTTY, PSK31 and AM from 1 to 30 watts output. If you would like more information you can check out his web address http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7600/default.aspx . This radio does have a 4.7 out of 5.0 rating at Eham.net, which is not bad at all. Here are some more specifications below.
- Frequency coverage
- HF and 6 Meter 50Mhz
- Mode: USB, LSB, CW, RTTY, PSK31, AM, FM
- Number of memory channels: 101 (99 regular, 2 scan edges)
- Antenna connector: SO-239x2 and phono [RCA;(50 ohms)]
- Usable temperature range: 0°C to +50°C; +32°F to +122°F
- Frequency stability: less than ±0.5 ppm (1 minute after power ON/0°C to +50°C; +32°F to +122°F)
- Frequency resolution: 1Hz
- Power supply requirement: 13.8 V DC (±15% negative ground)
- Power consumption:
- TX max power 23A
- RX standby 3.0A (typ.)
- RX max audio 3.5A (typ.)
- Dimensions (projections not included): 340(W) x 116(H) x 280(D) mm; 13.37(W) x 4.5(H) x 11.2(D) inches
- Weight: 10 kg; 25 lb.
- ACC 1 connector: 8-pin DIN connector
- ACC 2 connector: 7-pin DIN connector
- CI-V connector: 2-conductor 3.5 (d) mm (1/8")
- Display: 5.8 inch (diagonal) TFT color LCD
Thank You for Reading and Have a nice day from Dan KC2YTI 73s.